How well your bicycle fits you determines a lot. It can mean the difference between comfort and pain, fast and slow, safe and unsafe.
Proper fitting starts with selecting the right size bike frame. Most of our bikes are not one-size-fits-all, but rather, come in different frame measurements to help you obtain the best overall fit. Frame size is usually measured along the length of the seat tube (the tube which supports a bike’s seat and seatpost). While measurement standards vary a bit between different manufacturers, we can help you determine the ideal range of sizes that would offer you your best match to your body type and riding style.
What does body type have to do with fit? Well, have you ever heard someone say, “He’s a tall drink of water” or “She’s all legs”? The point is: Each of us has a different body style. And this has to be taken into account when fitting for a bike.
What's Your Riding Style?
How does your riding style relate to proper fit? Let’s say you want to cruise the bike paths on a bike that lets you sit upright where you get a good view of the scenery. That calls for a different frame size, bike type and fit approach than, say, a time-trial racer who needs to be positioned for optimum aerodynamics and speed.
Better Bike Parts Can Be Adjusted
Beyond frame size, other components of a bike also contribute greatly to a good fit. Take seats, for instance. What's the best height for your bike seat? How far forward or back of center is your correct seat position? The tilt of the seat is also adjustable. Other factors to know more about include: stem length and height; crank arm length; and, what width and shape of handlebars work best for you.
No Matter Where You Bought Your Bike, Great Fit Starts Here
We love helping our customers get the right fit. And if you didn’t buy your bike from us, worry not. Just bring your bike in for a complimentary review of the fit basics so you know what changes, if any, you might want to consider. We look forward to seeing you.
Appointments & Hours
To schedule an appointment for a fitting, please call the store (585.381.2808) or email at Rob@towpathbike.com
Trek Digital Fit Station: Free
Our staff will help you find the right size bike for you. Our Trek Digital Sizing takes five measurements from different locations in a completely non-invasive procedure that won't hurt and doesn't even require anyone to touch you. After we take the measurements our computers go to work and the Trek Digital Fit Station turns out the optimal measurements for your bicycle.
• Offers a full representation of available models and color options
• Helps train new employees of best practices for sizing
• Gives a starting saddle height, which we’ve found leads to better test rides—and more sales*
• Provides customers with a comfortable, non-invasive, no-touch fit experience
• Connects you to customers with an automated follow-up email containing sizing information and bike model options
• Instills purchase confidence in your customers from its introduction
Enthusiast Static Fitting: $89.99 (45-60 Minutes)
- Basic interview
- For existing bikes or new bike purchases
- Product consultation and recommendations
- Establishing saddle height and fore/aft
- Upper body reach adjusted for comfort and power
Utilizing the basics of the static fitting system, this service adds both science and accuracy to your professional bike fitting. Any of our sales staff can administer the enthusiast fitting.
For your ultimate performance and comfort, this budget-friendly service provides a comprehensive fit with a smaller time commitment. This is a great option for someone who already owns a bicycle or for someone who is interested in purchasing a bike but would prefer a professional fitting first.
Additional costs, if any, will be discussed. Please allow extra time for installations and test rides.
Professional Fitting/Static Triathlon Fit: $179 (1.5 hours)
This is a more comprehensive road, triathlon, and mountain fit that utilizes methods from multiple fit systems. This fit, based on the most accurate science, focuses on every detail required to achieve your optimal position
- Comprehensive interview, assessing rider’s history, goals, and concerns
- Full Flexibility assessment and range of motion strength test
- Product consultation and recommendations
- Shoe sizing and cleat placement
- Saddle selection
- Saddle height
- Saddle fore/aft position
- Stem length and position
- Handlebar width and position
- Adjusting upper body reach, maximizing comfort and power
- Aerobar pad height/reach
- All data recorded and emailed to rider within 24 hours
- Option to add saddle pressure mapping for $75
Saddle Pressure Analysis (PAT): $100 (1 hour)
This Trek Precision Fit-exclusive tool will help you discover the right position and the right saddle in just one session. This latest technology helps you visualize your pressure distribution across any saddle and on any bike.
Cleat and Saddle Adjustment: $54.99
Buying new shoes or a new saddle? Cleats worn out? This fit addresses the lower body, focusing on saddle and cleat position to ensure that your feet, legs, and hips are aligned and tracking properly.